Instrument for Peace
Download THE INTRUMENT FOR PEACE FORM
The worksheet is provided here in auto-fill PDF format so that you can easily move through an upset. Take as long as needed to ask and answer the questions in mind. Meditate, take notes, capture insights. As our mind get rewired and rechanneled from using the form, the duration of time from upset to peace gets shorter and shorter.
A Precise Tool for Plucking Upsets & Exposing Core Beliefs
Even a tiny upset can feel like a giant sliver in the mind. When you are watching a movie and you feel the emotions bubbling up, give yourself full permission to pause the movie and to talk or write about the thoughts and feelings. The Instrument for Peace is a tweezer for the mind: it has the uncanny ability to isolate and pluck an upset from your mind and then to expose the concepts or core beliefs underneath so they can be released. Core beliefs can be hard to get at precisely because they are so heavily defended by the ego. The ego is acutely aware that once we pull the plug on all our unquestioned beliefs, it’s game over. That’s why it’s built a heavily defended fortress of fear around the core beliefs that make up our self-concepts.
It’s challenging to even know where to start to get at core beliefs because we’ve spent millennia trying to avoid, deny, or repress the uncomfortable feelings layered over them. When we are upset, our heart pounds faster, we shake, we sweat, our mind clouds up, we can’t talk. Upset is the ego’s red-alert system telling us that we are getting way too close to the core beliefs blocking our awareness of who we really are. It keeps us on this timeline of existence.
Yet it’s when we can hardly look or talk or write about the upset in our mind that we have the best chance of digging out the core beliefs underneath and seeing the false as false.
This worksheet offers a simple, fast, free, and painless way to dive into an upset. Once we get to the core belief the upset is defending, it can be released. The Instrument for Peace has been designed to help you to identify, question and release all thoughts that cause you suffering when you decide you no longer want them.
What is the Present Upset I'm Feeling?
Here are some common beliefs that give rise to faulty perceptions in the world. When something on the screen is upsetting, you can be certain that there’s an unconscious belief in operation beneath the surface of things. Work back from the perception on the screen, through the feelings and thoughts to uncover and release the belief that’s causing the suffering.
Common Universal Beliefs
- I need to know what to do.
- I don’t know what to do.
- I know what is best for others.
- I know what is best for myself.
- Something terrible is going to happen.
- It’s possible to make a mistake.
- People should not lie.
- People should respect me.
- I can control how others feel about me.
- I feel your energy.
- I need more money.
- Life isn’t fair.
- Parents should love their children.
- Children should love their parents.
- I need to make a decision.
- I can’t do anything right.
- I can disappoint people.
- I don’t want to look foolish.
- There’s too much to do.
- There’s not enough time.
- I know what you need.
- I am worthless.
- It’s my job to make you happy.
- I need a partner to be happy.
- It’s my fault.
- I should be different.
- I missed my chance.
- I need to be careful in life.
- People should listen to me.
- I’m not good enough.
- I am a failure.
- ________ doesn’t care about me.
- I need to understand.
- I need to do it right.
- I did it wrong.
- There’s something wrong with me.
- S/he rejected me.
- S/he doesn’t trust me.
- There shouldn’t be war in this world.
- Women shouldn’t be so emotional.
- People shouldn’t use animals (medical research, food, etc.).
- The world isn’t a safe place.
- People are destroying the environment.
- People are judging me.
- I know what they’re thinking.
- They should agree with me.
- I have to work hard.
- People should keep their promises.
- Other people can hurt me.
- Money will make me happy.
- I’m too fat/thin.
- I need to be in control.
- My body should be healthy.
- People are not trustworthy.
- ________ betrayed me.
- There is no purpose to my life.
- I need to know my life’s purpose.
- Life is difficult.
- People should be grateful.
- My boss should appreciate me.
- I don’t belong.
- People shouldn’t be angry.
- ________ did it wrong.
- I am right.